One thing I always like to have in my pantry is a good sized box of homemade granola. It’s yummy, healthy and totally easy to keep a big batch on hand. The babies and I were up earlier than usual one morning so we all whipped out a batch together.
My recipe is based on this one, with, as always, a few tweaks. Start with your dry ingredients.
Basic You-Tweak Granola Recipe –
- Medium Batch – I routinely make twice this much. It keeps really well, but is yummiest fresh.
- 6 cups dry oats – replace a couple cups with some puffed rice or corn flakes for variety
- 3 cups goodies – any combo of your favorite fruits, nuts and seeds. Try a tropical blend(coconut, pineapple and mango) or a simple classic(walnuts, raisins and cinnamon) or a nut blend or a cranberry almond mix. Whatever you like, be creative!
- 1/2 cup oil – coconut is best!
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- Optional, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple flavoring, to taste
Preheat oven to 325. Grease two cookie sheets. Mix all your dry ingredients together. Microwave your honey and oil together for about 90 seconds to liquefy and mix it into your dry ingredients. Spread onto cookie sheets and bake for 13 – 18 minutes. Store in an airtight container.